If you use your fryer a lot like I do the oil gets filthy pretty quick and requires changing frequently and then every so often the oil needs to be drained and the fryer cleaned completely. The easiest way that I’ve found to clean out a dirty fryer is as follows:
Deep fat fryer cleaning steps:
- Heat the fryer up until it’s warm but not to frying temperature. You don’t need much for liquid oils but may need to get it a bit hotter if you use vegetable shortening like I do.
- Pour the warm oil into a container. Make sure that it’s something which can withstand mild heat such as a metal coffee can, pyrex glass container or heavy plastic carton.
- Unplug the fryer and let cool for a bit
- If the fryer has an immersed element like mine does remove it.
- Using a dish detergent for heavy grease removal wipe out the fryer several times.
- Rinse out the fryer
- Let the fryer dry upside down on a kitchen towel.
- Use heavy paper towels to dry the fryer’s inside and make sure you wipe any left over grease clean.
- Reassemble the fryer